Sweet and Savory Valentine Bites
Whether you’re hosting a festive Valentine’s Day party, or entertaining just for two, these recipes give you some sweet and savory choices that will set the mood for romance.
Scrumptious bites start with simple, flavorful ingredients – golden Calimyrna and dark purple Mission figs from California and Jarlsberg cheese.
Sweet, mouthwatering figs are not only packed with great taste, they’re full of fiber and essential nutrients, making them as good for you as they are good to eat.
The versatile taste and texture of Jarlsberg cheese is ideal for these appetizers. Jarlsberg’s mild, nutty-sweet flavor and buttery creaminess makes it a perfect partner to figs and, along with its excellent melting properties, adaptable to many sweet or savory dishes.
You can combine both ingredients in one easy sure-to-please appetizer: Make a slit in a fig and stuff with a piece of Jarlsberg. Wrap with partially-cooked bacon (it should be a bit limp) and heat at 400°F just until bacon is crispy and cheese begins to melt.
See more of my sweet and savory Valentine’s Day recipes here: /tag/valentines-day/
Jarlsberg, Ham and Herb Swirls
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or thyme leaves
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest or other lean ham
- Unfold pastry onto lightly floured board; cut in half, lengthwise, to form two pieces. Brush beaten egg on entire surface of each piece.
- Leaving a 1/2-inch border around each pastry, top with the following, dividing evenly: Dijon mustard, green onion, basil and Jarlsberg. Top each with sliced ham, cutting to fit in a single layer within border.
- Starting at the long ends, carefully roll up each pastry. Gently pinch ends to seal pastry rolls. Wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill rolls, seam side down, for 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, preheat oven to 400°F. Unwrap rolls and cut each roll crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place, 1 inch apart, on 2 greased baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden. Place on wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Makes about 26 swirls